Sign in to follow this  
Graham Nicholls

Is NLP all about the techniques?

While people seem to be hooked on the 'techniques' that NLP offers such as Swish patterns, Anchoring, Conversational Change etc. is this really what NLP is about?

For me NLP was built on modelling. The founders, after all, spent a huge amount of time modelling great communicators such as Milton Erickson and Virginia Satir.

Their ways of modelling built a structure for which we can use to model our clients and where their issues are, by modelling their patterns of language and thought process we uncover the deeper issue and create relevant strategies from there to help them. 

The techniques that NLP employs only work to affect change if they are used in the right way, at the right time and with all of the information.

Looking forward to your thoughts 🙂

• Like 2

I find NLP a huge subject, yet the skills on there own are usually difficult to place. The swish obviously stands out as does the values elicitation, Though I believe I have adapted many techniques in lesser proportion, its rare that I think "I will use an NLP technique, yet as I gradually review courses I find bits that I can later implement.

It probably a case of information overflow, better to use what we know well than experiment with the new. gradually we can improve our active skillset, and make redundant skills w have outgrown. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

Personally, I have loose track of what's NLP, I believe, there is a point in time when you start to adapting such techniques in your daily life in such a way that it becomes part of you instead of being a technique that you use in certain moments. I am not saying that I have become so wise, that I am one with NLP, is just that I stop asking myself, is this the right technique for this situation? or should I use X now? I just feel free to act upon the teachings that I have been gathering and teaching for a while. I dont know, if any of this make sense 😄

• Like 3

Graham, I agree with you that the principle value that the founders of NLP gave was to help establish frameworks through which we can process the information we receive from the client (neurological, lingual, emotional etc.) 

I personally don't view the 'techniques' so much as tools that I can use upon the client, I think of them more as my own internal processors that help me categorise and respond to the information and signals that they sending me. 

• Like 2

I think that NLP explains how a person's actions depend on how he or she thinks, then formed a variety of modeling techniques with basic NLP
That way we can be as personal as we want to model

Edited by warih
  • Like 1

There is a good quote for this in Dutch from johan cruif; 'Je gaat het pas zien als je het doorhebt'. 

loosely translated by me its; once you get it, you'll see it.

techniques are nothing but handlebars which help you to het higher up and/or understand the rules of the game, so you can see the playing field your playing a proverbial match on.

Once you get higher up and understand the rules, you'll be able to guide your teammate ( client) to a winning move more easily. And since every playing field is different, you need to use different techniques to win different matches.

hope that kinda makes sense, it does to me.

• Like 1

NLP is not all about techniques. If it is taken that way, it would be like the following. Driving has many techniques like taking the reverse, parking, U-turn etc. These techniques alone don't mean Driving. These techniques are part of Driving. The sum of the parts make up the whole and some of the parts don't make up the whole 

I have found the NLP communication model to be of inestimable value in understanding the dynamics and flow of communication.  When a person communicates a message to  another person, he may be puzzled as to why their interpretation and understanding is so different from his. 

If we explore the NLP Communication model, the misunderstandings, and misinterpretations in communication are clearly explained. 

There's the external event a person experiences, or a message that is conveyed by someone; this info is processed through the brain's filters where it gets deleted, distorted, or generalised. It also gets filtered through our values, beliefs, before it is translated into an internal representation. The message received is then further filtered and affected by our state (emotional) and current physiology. Finally all these factors influence and determine our response and behaviour. It sure is a complex process, and is a contributing factor to misunderstandings  in communication generally, and specifically in relationships. 

The URL to the NLP communication model is below:

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=diagram+of+the+NLP+communication+model&rlz=1C1CHZL_enZA698ZA698&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=HDrIyay69xmOUM%3A%2CvGueQCT0Jo4hUM%2C_&usg=__0S-jJkx8SoK5Gd9VHft-XjZWIck%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEmv2zj53cAhUoIcAKHbRmCi0Q9QEILjAC&biw=1920&bih=947#imgrc=HDrIyay69xmOUM:

• Like 1